😌🤫🤔 This article was co-authored by Charina Redugerio and by wikiHow staff writer, Aly Rusciano. Charina Redugerio is a Makeup Artist based in New York City. With over 13 years of experience in the beauty industry, Charina has worked for Sephora, NARS Cosmetics, L'Oreal, Parfums Christian Dior, Natasha Denona Makeup, and is now a freelance makeup artist. She has conducted makeup for numerous fashion week shows, editorial shoots, and one-on-one client makeovers. She has worked and trained with several global celebrity makeup artists including Dior's Ricky Wilson.
There are 12 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
This article has been viewed 5,352 times.
😌🤫🤔 Worried that your grey hair is aging you? We’re here to help you embrace your greying locks and create a look that’s fresh and youthful. Grey hair is absolutely stunning and a marker for all the wisdom stored in that beautiful head. In this article, we’ll teach you how to wear and style your changing hair so you look anything but old. From hairstyles to tips and tricks on caring for silver locks, we’ve got it all!
1 1 of 11:Get a haircut that makes you feel amazing.
- Rock your grey hair with a confidence-boosting haircut. When you have grey hair, your self-confidence is everything. Getting a haircut that flatters your face shape and matches your lifestyle can help you look younger. All you have to do is go up to a mirror and pull your hair back. Take a lipstick or dry erase marker and trace the shape of your face onto the mirror—a round, oval, diamond, oblong, heart, or square shape will stare back at you.XResearch source
- If you have a round face, opt for a cute pixie cut.
- If you have an oval face, try blunt bangs.
- If you have a diamond face, give side swept bangs a try.
- If you have an oblong face, opt for a layered lob.
- If you have a heart face, go for long layers.
- If you have a square face, try a classic bob.
2 2 of 11:Hydrate your hair and protect it from heat.
- Taking care of your hair is the first step in styling grey hair. Grey strands are naturally fine and brittle because of they lack pigment, so ease away from heating tools and reach for a hydrating hair mask. Spritz on a heat protectant if you have to use heat and choose a hair mask that’s hydrating and formulated for grey hair to help your beautiful locks be the best they can be.XResearch source
- Your hair can change texture when you age, making it especially important to give it even more love!
- Straighteners, curling irons, and even blow dryers can damage your hair.
3 3 of 11:Try a purple or clarifying shampoo.
- Purple and clarifying shampoos take away brassiness. When your hair starts to grey, it’ll naturally take on new and exciting tones. Washing your hair with a silver shampoo and doing clarifying treatments every month or every two weeks can keep your silver locks looking less yellow and more fresh.XResearch source
4 4 of 11:Put your hair up in a stylish updo.
- Buns, twists, and half-up hairstyles can keep you looking young. Updos are a great way to brighten up your face and look put together. From simple twisted buns to stylish half-up styles, there’s something new you can try each day. Give some of these styles a shot to show off your gorgeous silver locks:XResearch source
5 5 of 11:Braid your hair in a new way.
- Braids are a stylish way to hide grey hair transitions. If you have longer hair that’s starting to grey, you can add some flair and keep your youthful glow with a few twists. Play around with classic braids or try a faux braid look you’ve never tried before—the possibilities are endless. Here are some fun, braided looks that can keep you looking young:XResearch source
6 6 of 11:Try wearing fun, bold accessories.
- Pops of color against grey hair will turn back the clock. Think of your silver locks as a fresh canvas to work with. Your hair's white and cool undertones are the perfect pairing for red-rimmed glasses, vibrant headbands, and even gold jewelry.
- Add a pop of color to your lips to match your accessories! A matching lip and accessory duo will keep you looking young and fresh.XResearch source
- Silver hair doesn’t mean ditching the gold jewelry. Dainty gold pieces can add just a hint of yellow to your look without bringing out any yellow undertones in your hair.XResearch source
- Ultimately, wear accessories that make you feel confident.
7 7 of 11:Wear white, red, and blue clothing.
- Wearing clothing that compliments your hair can help you look younger. These colors pair beautifully with your silver locks and create a striking contrast that gives a youthful glow. You can also try blacks and vibrant greens—the darker or more bright the color, the better!XResearch source
- Steer clear of wearing yellow, browns, and pale greens.
- Although grey hair is mostly cool-toned, it has yellow undertones. Wearing these yellow-toned colors can make your hair look brassy and wash you out.XResearch source
8 8 of 11:Dress fashionably for your age.
- Hop on the latest trends to stay hip but age appropriate. Believe it or not, grey hair is all the rage these days! The teens are dying their hair to look just like yours, so you already have a leg up. Now, all you have to do is find an age appropriate but stylish outfit that also keeps you young. Here are some of our favorite trendy but mature outfits:XResearch source
- Dark denim straight-leg jeans with a T-shirt and cardigan.
- Black pencil skirt with black fitted jacket.
- Fit and flare dress with a leather jacket.
9 9 of 11:Use silver eyeshadow and red lipstick.
- Accentuate your eyes or give your lips color to liven up your look. Keeping your makeup looking fresh and bright is a great way to draw focus away from your grey hair to your face. Ultimately, you’ll look younger! Try using a grey or silver-tone eyeshadow and painting your lips red.
- The similar colored eyeshadow will naturally trick someone’s attention into moving from your hair to your eyes.
- A bold red lip will add a pop of color to your look and give you a youthful glow.
10 10 of 11:Fill in your brows with a darker color.
- Eyebrows frame your face and can help you look younger. Your eyebrows may not change with your greying hair, but that’s what eyebrow pencil is for! Fill your brows in with a shade that’s a few shades darker than your hair color. This will help brighten your face and draw attention to your gorgeous eyes.XResearch source
- Try an ashy light brown, grey-brown, or medium grey pencil.
- The shape of your brows is totally up to you! Go with what you think looks good and makes you feel confident.
11 11 of 11:Take care of your skin.
- Tending to your skin is just as important as tending your hair. Your hair isn’t the only thing that changes when you age. You might notice wrinkles around your eyes and along your forehead. This is natural and another sign of the amazing years you’ve lived, so embrace them! Here are some ways you can care for your beautifully aging skin:XTrustworthy SourceHarvard Medical SchoolHarvard Medical School's Educational Site for the PublicGo to source