This article was written by Nicole Levine, MFA. Nicole Levine is a Technology Writer and Editor for wikiHow. She has more than 20 years of experience creating technical documentation and leading support teams at major web hosting and software companies. Nicole also holds an MFA in Creative Writing from Portland State University and teaches composition, fiction-writing, and zine-making at various institutions.
This article has been viewed 40,347 times.
Separating linked Instagram accounts allows you to sign in to either account independently, using each account's own username and password. This wikiHow article will show you how to separate two connected Instagram accounts so you can sign in with each one separately. And if your Instagram accounts are not linked but you're signed in to more than one at a time, you'll also learn how to sign out from the account you don't want to use.
Method 1Method 1 of 2:Removing an Account from a Single Login
- 1Open the Instagram app on your Android, iPhone, or iPad. If you have two Instagram accounts liked to the same login, you can easily separate them so you can log into each account separately.XResearch source Linked accounts are not the same thing as having two different accounts signed in for easy switching between the two. If you have two accounts that you switch between and just want to log out of one of them, see Logging Out of a Second Account instead.
- Instagram no longer allows you to link two accounts together on a single login. If you unlink your accounts, the change will be permanent.XResearch source
- 2Tap your profile photo or the outline of a person. You'll see one of these two icons at the bottom-right. This takes you to your profile.Advertisement
- 3Tap the three-line menu . This is at the top-right corner.
- 4Tap . It's at the top of the menu.
- 5Tap . You'll only see this if you have two accounts linked together.
- 6Tap the three horizontal dots on the account you want to remove . A menu will expand.
- 7Tap on the menu. Once you remove the account, the two accounts will no longer be linked to the same login information.
Method 2Method 2 of 2:Logging Out of a Second Account
- 1Open the Instagram app on your Android, iPhone, or iPad. This method will help you sign out of one of your signed-in Instagram accounts. Use this method if you're logged in to two or more Instagram accounts at the same time.
- You can stay logged in to 5 Instagram accounts at the same time.XResearch source
- Logging out of one of the signed-in accounts won't permanently alter the account—it just won't be actively signed in until you sign in again.
- 2Tap your profile photo or the outline of a person. You'll see one of these two icons at the bottom-right. This takes you to your profile.
- 3Switch to the account you want to sign out from. If the account you want to sign out from is not the one that's active, tap your username at the top and then select that account now.
- 4Tap the three-line menu . This is at the top-right corner.
- 5Tap . It's at the top of the menu.
- 6Scroll down to the "Logins" area. It's at the bottom of the Settings menu.
- 7Tap . This signs you out of the current account. You will still be signed in any other Instagram accounts that were signed in.
About This Article
1. Open Instagram and tap your profile icon.
2. Select the account you want to unlink.
3. Tap the three lines and select Settings.
4. Tap Login info.
5. Tap the three horizontal dots on the account name.
6. Tap Remove.