This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer, Hannah Madden. Hannah Madden is a writer, editor, and artist currently living in Portland, Oregon. In 2018, she graduated from Portland State University with a B.S. in Environmental Studies. Hannah enjoys writing articles about conservation, sustainability, and eco-friendly products. When she isn’t writing, you can find Hannah working on hand embroidery projects and listening to music.
As you dive into the world of astrology, you may have stumbled across the lunar nodes, or the Nodes of Destiny. The South and North Nodes are the points in the sky when the moon and the sun cross each other, and they can tell you a lot about your past lives and your future fate. In this article, we’ll tell you all about the South Node, as well as where you can find it and what yours means.
Section 1 of 3:What is the meaning of the South Node in astrology?
- The South Node is the energy we are trying to release in this lifetime. Many people describe the South Node as the energy, relationships, or emotions we’ve experienced in a past life. The South Node encourages you to examine these feelings and relationships from the past and to get rid of the ones that aren’t serving you anymore. If you ever have the feeling of déjà vu, that’s the energy of your South Node.XResearch source
- The North Node describes where we are going and the energy we are moving into. You can think of them as opposites: if the South Node is about where we’ve been, the North Node is about where we’re going. The North Node gives you a chance to reinvent yourself and discover a new purpose to start fresh with.
Section 2 of 3:How do I find the South Node in my birth chart?
- Look for the upside down horseshoe symbol in your birth chart. You can use a free online birth chart calculator to get a full astrological reading (just make sure you know the exact time, date, and place of your birth). Then, you can read your birth chart and look for the South Node symbol. It will be right across from the North Node symbol in your chart.XResearch source
- The North Node and the South Node will always be opposites.
Section 3 of 3:The South and North Node in Each Sign
- 1South Node in Libra You tend to focus on relationships more than you do on yourself. Friendships and romantic relationships are great to have, but your South Node may be telling you to become more self-reliant. A South Node in Libra also urges you to let go of any relationships that are bringing you down or no longer serving you.XResearch source
- North Node: Aries. Aries is a sign that’s known for its fierce independence and resilience. The opposite of Libra, Aries is extremely self-sufficient. Your North Node is calling you to rely on yourself more than you rely on others as you move forward.
- 2South Node in Scorpio In the past, you may have been too guarded to let others in. As you grow and evolve, focus on tearing down your walls and connecting with others. It’s great to be independent, but don’t let that stop you from forming friendships and relationships.
- North Node: Taurus. Tauruses are generally attracted to materialistic things, like their home and their finances. Your North Node in Taurus calls you to focus on creating a balanced home life where you feel safe and comfortable.
- 3South Node in Sagittarius Your friends probably call you "honest," or maybe even blunt. In a past life, you might have spoken a few too many times without thinking. As you go forward, try to choose your words carefully instead of blurting things out.
- North Node: Gemini. Your love of communication extends to all languages, and your thirst for knowledge helps with that. Focus on achieving your goals and striving toward your passion, especially if it has to do with language or communication.
- 4South Node in Capricorn Are you focusing on your own goals more than on connecting with other people? Being disciplined is great, but not when it comes at the expense of the other aspects of your life. You may need to dial back your goals and focus on living in the now as you move forward.
- North Node: Cancer. Cancer is a family-oriented sign that encourages vulnerability. With a North Node in Cancer, you may need to focus on accepting help and opening up to the people in your life.
- 5South Node in Aquarius You love your community, so why not step into a leadership role? In the past, you were probably very involved with your friends and family, but you may have shied away from the spotlight. Don’t be afraid to step up and take charge as you continue on.
- North Node: Leo. Leos are bold, and aren’t afraid to stand out in a crowd. Your North Node is urging you to embrace these qualities within yourself.
- 6South Node in Pisces You may be a natural dreamer, which probably helped you out in the past. Now, however, it’s time to let the daydreams go and become grounded again. Focus on what’s going on around you instead of diving into your fantasy world.
- North Node: Virgo. Virgos are masters of organization and information. Try turning your far-away dreams into goals that turn into specific, step by step plans.
- 7South Node in Aries In the past, you’ve probably had a very take-charge attitude. While this may have served you well, now’s the time to step back and let others lead. Don’t be afraid to give up some control and let go a little bit.
- North Node: Libra. Deepen your connection with others instead of focusing on surface-level issues. Focus on the relationships you already have rather than casting a wide net to meet new people.
- 8South Node in Taurus Strong and stable, you’re probably used to sticking within your comfort zone. Now’s the time to broaden your horizons and try something that you’ve never done before. It’s okay to be scared—that means it’s something worth doing!
- North Node: Scorpio. Let go of your need for control and focus on going with the flow. This will be tough for you, since you’re probably used to controlling every aspect of your life, but the inner peace it brings you will be worth it.
- 9South Node in Gemini In the past, your relationships were how you defined your self-worth. Now, it’s time to let go of the need for other people’s approval and focus on loving yourself. Do what makes you truly happy instead of waiting for other people to take charge.
- North Node: Sagittarius. Listen to your intuition and do what your heart says. Don’t be afraid to take risks, since they might just pay off.
- 10South Node in Cancer In the past, you’ve been very in tune with the emotions of others and those around you. Moving forward, try to protect yourself from taking on too much of other people’s feelings. This is a great quality to have, but too much empathy can distract you from your own well-being.
- North Node: Capricorn. Set boundaries for yourself and protect your own heart first. It’s great to be helpful, but self-care is important, too.
- 11South Node in Leo You’re no stranger to the spotlight, and you often crave being the center of attention. It’s great to command a room, but try to look for opportunities where you can share the limelight with others. Not only will it make them happy, but it will strengthen your connections as well.
- North Node: Aquarius. Make goals and do your best to stick to them. You’re a visionary, which means you always have something going on—do your best to follow your own plan that you’ve set out for yourself.
- 12South Node in Virgo Some people may call you a "perfectionist," but you’d call yourself organized. It’s okay to crave control, but try to give yourself a break and let others take charge once in a while. It will feel strange at first, but in time, you’ll get used to accepting help from your loved ones.
- North Node: Pisces. Embrace the day-dreamy, creative side of your personality. Let yourself roam free for a day and see what you come up with. It’s okay to take a day off without any strict or rigid schedules.