This article was co-authored by Christine George. Christine George is a Master Hairstylist, Colorist, and Owner of Luxe Parlour, a premier boutique salon based in the Los Angeles, California area. Christine has over 23 years of hair styling and coloring experience. She specializes in customized haircuts, premium color services, balayage expertise, classic highlights, and color correction. She received her cosmetology degree from the Newberry School of Beauty.
There are 8 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article received 13 testimonials and 90% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status.
This article has been viewed 1,040,251 times.
In a rush before school or work? These quick and easy hair buns are the answer! These quick, yet great looks are so simple you don't even need a hairbrush, so these styles can be done after you leave home.
Method 1Method 1 of 3:Creating an Easy Bun
- 1Gather your hair into a ponytail.XExpert SourceChristine George
Master Hair Stylist & ColoristExpert Interview. 10 January 2020. Fling your hair over your head, and then rapidly fling it back again. This creates volume for your bun, making the bun less severe and tight. Then, grasp the hair with your hands and hold it in a ponytail.
- You can brush your hair before this step. Since you are putting your hair up into a bun, you can skip this step.
- This style can work anywhere on your head. For a high, messy bun, use your fingers to brush your hair into a high ponytail on the top of your head. For a low bun, gather your hair at the base of your neck.
- If you need some texture in your hair, add some sea salt spray or dry shampoo.
- 2Twist the hair. After you have pulled your hair into a ponytail, twist the hair clockwise. As the hair is twisted, it will wrap around itself until you have one long twisted strand.XExpert SourceChristine George
Master Hair Stylist & ColoristExpert Interview. 10 January 2020.
- You can also twist the hair counter-clockwise. The direction does not matter to the overall look of the bun; it is purely up to your preference.
- If you have unruly or thick hair, putting your hair in a ponytail before making a bun may help keep hair secure and in place.
- For an extra bit of style, leave one thick strand loose. After securing the hair into a bun, braid this strand of hair and wrap around the base of the bun for added flare and sophistication. Secure the braid by tucking the end under the bun and using a bobby pin to keep in place.
- 3Wrap the hair into a bun. Once the hair is fully twisted, bring the strand towards your head. Wrap it in a circular motion around the head the same direction in which you twisted it. The hair will begin to coil into a bun.XResearch source
- An alternative is to twist the hair halfway, then circle into a bun, leaving some of the end strands loose. Take the loose strands and spread it over the bun. Hold it in place with your palm.XResearch source
- 4Secure the bun. Holding the bun with one hand, use the other hand to get the hair band from your wrist or from a nearby counter. Wrap the hair band around the bun until tight.
- Don't worry about not getting the hair secured perfectly. A quick, easy bun has the ends of the hair sticking out. You can tuck the ends under the hair band if you don't want them sticking out.
- An alternative is to use bobby pins to secure the bun instead of a hair tie. You will probably need between 4-8 pins.
- You can also add ribbons, barrettes, or clips for decoration. Pull down a few strands for a flyaway, bohemian look.
Method 2Method 2 of 3:Making a Quick Braided Bun
- 1Pull your hair into a ponytail. Brush your hair to rid it of any tangles. Then, pull it into a loose ponytail anywhere on your head. Secure this with a hair tie.
- 2Braid your hair.Braid the ponytail down to the end of your hair. Secure the braid with another hair tie. A simple braid works best on this, but a fishtail braid can work, too.XResearch source
- To braid your hair, start by separating the hair into three strands. Cross the right strand over the middle strand. Pull the middle strand to the right so that it is now the right strand. Cross the left strand over the middle strand, then pull the middle strand to the left so it is now the left strand. Continue repeating this until you have braided all the way to the end.
- An alternative braided bun style is to gather your hair at your neck and start a loose braid with no hair tie. When you get to the ends, secure only two of the three strands, leaving one strand free.
- 3Wrap the hair into a bun. Take the braid and circle around the hair tie, making the bun. Tuck the loose ends of your hair and the hair tie underneath your bun.XResearch source
- For the alternative style, hold the loose strand and push up the rest of the braid until it creates a messy bun.XResearch source
- 4Secure the bun. Use 4-8 bobby pins to secure the bun. You can also use another hair tie to achieve this. Wrap the hair tie around the bun until tight.
- For the loose braided bun, tuck the loose strand under the bun and secure the bun with bobby pins.
Method 3Method 3 of 3:Creating an Easy Three Twist Bun
- 1Divide your hair into three sections. At the base of your neck, use your fingers to separate your hair into three equal sections. If you prefer to brush your hair before separating, you can. Or you can comb through it with your fingers for a messier look.
- This style works well with hair that is not freshly shampooed. If you need some texture, try sea salt spray or dry shampoo.
- 2Twist the right section. Start with the right side and twist the strand clockwise to the end. After you have twisted the strand, wrap it close to your head, producing a tiny bun. Secure this strand with bobby pins.
- For a messy, chic look, let some strands fall out so it doesn't look like a severe, tight bun.
- 3Twist the other two sections. Take the middle strand and twist it counterclockwise all the way to the end of your hair. Wrap this strand close to your head to make a mini-bun. Do the same thing with the left strand, twisting it counterclockwise.XResearch source Secure them with bobby pins.
- Tug some hair from the sides of your hair to give yourself a messy, slept in look.
Community Q&A Did you know you can get expert answers for this article?Unlock expert answers by supporting wikiHow
- QuestionHow do I put my hair in a bun fast?Christine GeorgeChristine George is a Master Hairstylist, Colorist, and Owner of Luxe Parlour, a premier boutique salon based in the Los Angeles, California area. Christine has over 23 years of hair styling and coloring experience. She specializes in customized haircuts, premium color services, balayage expertise, classic highlights, and color correction. She received her cosmetology degree from the Newberry School of Beauty.
Master Hair Stylist & ColoristMaster Hair Stylist & ColoristExpert Answer
- QuestionHow can I make a bun that will stay in all day?Community AnswerThe better you secure it, the more it will last. Use any way possible. Bun nets that are often used for ballerinas are very good and can come with decorations or plain, whichever you prefer.
- QuestionHow should I tuck in the loose hair when I wear a bun?Community AnswerBobby pin the loose hairs underneath the bun so they are less noticeable - unless you want people to see it.
- QuestionCan I use a sock to make a hair bun?Community AnswerYes. Check out How to Do a Sock Bun.
- QuestionHow can I make a hair bun with one hair tie?Community AnswerHold your hair up (as in a ponytail) with one hand and twist it until you can wrap it into a bun, then hold it in place and use your other hand to put a hair tie around it and secure it. It may be a bit tricky at first if you have thick hair.
- QuestionHow do you get your hair up like that? I tried 8 times and I still can't do it. I have bangs that are almost as long as the rest of my hair, and my hair is sort of short.Community AnswerIf you have bangs, it'll be easier to tie a bun that is higher on your head so you can pull them back into the bun. Try hanging your head down and gathering all your hair to the top of your head, then sit back up again once you've gathered all your hair. From there, just follow the above steps for whatever bun you want. If you want to tie a low bun, you may have to bobby pin your bangs back if they don't reach the bun (unless you just want to leave them out). Whatever you choose, it is a bit tricky at first and you'll feel like it won't look good, but just practice a few times and don't worry too much about it because this hairstyle works even if it is messy!
- QuestionHow long does my hair need to be to work when I am making a bun?Community AnswerLong enough so that when you put it into a ponytail, you still have a few inches left.
- QuestionHow can I make a bun with not-so-short hair?Community AnswerFollow these tips -- they work for long hair too!
- QuestionHow can I make a good looking bun with super curly hair?Community AnswerYou can try doing a messy bun, which some people find to be fashionable. You can also try making a sock bun. Lastly, you can also try straightening your hair first, or using a smoothing cream or oil in your hair first; this will help your hair strands lay flat.
- QuestionI have a super long and thick hair. I've tried doing this so many times and it won't work. What can I do?Community AnswerMaybe try wetting your hair or straightening it. Then put it in a bun. Also, you could use a rubber band to make sure it stays in place.
- Rubber bands should not be used in hair since they can rip it out.
- Add a touch of hairspray if you want some extra hold.
- Go for messy or sleek looks with these quick, easy buns. It works for either style.
- The bun will go in better if you twist the hair while wrapping it around the tie.
- These styles work anywhere on the head. Mix it up - go for high buns and low buns.
- Accessorize the buns for something extra. Wrap a scarf around the buns, wear a headband, or wear colorful hair ties.
- For the easy bun and braided bun, you may wrap a hairnet that's the same colour as your hair around the bun to make it neater.
Things You'll Need
- Hair band/hair tie
- Brush (Optional)
- Bobby pins (Optional)
- ↑Christine George. Master Hair Stylist & Colorist. Expert Interview. 10 January 2020.
- ↑Christine George. Master Hair Stylist & Colorist. Expert Interview. 10 January 2020.
- Videos provided by Annies Forget Me Knots
About This Article
To do a quick and easy hair bun, start by by hanging your head forward and then flipping it back quickly so you can make a ponytail with lots of volume. Then, grab your hair and begin twisting it clockwise until all of your hair is twisted. Hold the twist and then begin wrapping it in circular motions at the back of your head. Once all of your hair is in a bun, hold the bun with 1 hand while you secure put on a hairband or pins with your other hand. To learn how to do a quick braided bun, scroll down!
Reader Success Stories
- "Doing this bun saved me. I was playing on the railing by stairs with concrete one day. I was sliding up the bar and I fell, but my hands and legs were still on the bar. So my head hit the concrete, but the bun softened the impact and I didn't get hurt."..." more