😄😨🤠 This article was written by Jack Lloyd. Jack Lloyd is a Technology Writer and Editor for wikiHow. He has over two years of experience writing and editing technology-related articles. He is technology enthusiast and an English teacher.
This article has been viewed 447,408 times.
😄😨🤠 If you'd like to join the millions of people partaking in Instagram culture, you can create an Instagram account of your own for free! You can do this on your preferred mobile platform or, if you're old-fashioned, set your account up on a computer.
Method 1Method 1 of 3:Using Mobile
- 1Tap your phone's app store app to open the app store. You'll need to download the Instagram app in order to create and access an account on your mobile platform.
- On iOS devices, this app is called "App Store"; Android phones and tablets use the "Google Play Store".
- 2Search for the "Instagram" app. On both iOS and Android platforms, you can do this by tapping the magnifying glass icon in the app store app and then typing in your search query.Advertisement
- 3Tap the pertinent button to download Instagram. Since Instagram is a free app, you'll see a button next to the app that says either "Get" (iOS) or "Install" (Android).
- Depending on your internet/data connection speed, Instagram may take a minute or two to download.
- 4Tap the Instagram app. This will open Instagram.
- 5Tap the "Sign Up" button. This will prompt you to enter your preferred account information.XResearch source
- 6Enter your preferred email address in the field provided. Tap "Next" when you're done.
- Make sure that this is a current email address to which you have access.
- You can also choose to log in with your Facebook credentials from here. If you tap the "Log in with Facebook" option, Instagram will ask you to log into your Facebook page if you aren't already logged in.
- 7Enter a username and password. You'll need to enter the password twice in order to confirm its accuracy.
- Make sure you like your username before clicking "Next".
- 8Enter optional account details. These include a profile picture, a bio for your account, or a link to your personal website. You can add or change this information at any time from within your Instagram profile by tapping the "Edit Profile" option at the top of your page.
- 9Tap "Done". This will create your account!
Method 2Method 2 of 3:Using a Computer
- 1Open your preferred browser. While your Instagram browsing experience is limited in comparison to mobile when using a computer, you can still set up and access your account from Instagram's site.
- 2Navigate to Instagram's website. Click the link provided to do so.
- 3Enter your sign-up information on the right side of the page. This information includes the following:
- A current email address.
- Your full name.
- Your preferred username.
- Your preferred password.
- You can also click "Log in with Facebook" at the top of this information entry box to create an account with your Facebook name and password. This will link your Facebook and Instagram accounts.
- 4Click the "Sign Up" button. This is at the bottom of the sign-up menu; doing so will create your account.
- 5Click the person icon in the top right corner of your screen. This will take you to your account page.
- 6Click the "Edit Profile" option. This should be to the right of your Instagram name at the top of your page.
- 7Add any information you wish to display. This may include a bio for your account, a link to your personal website, or a profile picture. When you're done, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of your page. You have successfully created an Instagram account!
Method 3Method 3 of 3:Customizing Your Instagram Profile
- 1Tap the "Edit Profile" button on your account page. In order to better distinguish your Instagram account from others, it's a good idea to customize your account's details.
- You can also add this information when initially setting up your account on mobile.
- 2Tap "Add Profile Photo". If you already have a profile photo, this option will be entitled "Change Profile Photo". You have several options for uploading your profile photo:
- Import from Facebook - Select a photo from your Facebook media. Your Facebook account and Instagram account must be linked.
- Import from Twitter - Select a photo from your Twitter media. Your Twitter account and Instagram account must be linked.
- Take Photo - Take a photo to use for your profile.
- Choose from Library - Select a photo from your camera roll.
- 3Upload a profile photo from your chosen source. This will lend a distinct image or face to your Instagram account, making it more recognizable than an account without a profile picture.
- This is a good place to upload a logo if your Instagram is dedicated to a brand or business.
- 4Tap the "Name" field to add a name. This spot is usually reserved for your full name, but Instagram allows users to add a single name (e.g., a first or a last name).
- If you're using this account for work, consider placing your business' name here in lieu of your own.
- 5Tap the "Username" field to add a custom username. This is how you will appear to others on Instagram. For maximum user accessibility, try to make your username something related to your Instagram's predominant content.
- If your preferred username is currently being used, Instagram will prompt you to choose a different username.
- 6Tap the "Website" field to add your website's URL. If you have a dedicated website (e.g., for personal content, for photography, or for your business), putting its URL link in this field will display it below your profile information when other users visit your page. This is a good way for you to promote your work or life outside of Instagram without paying for advertising.
- 7Tap the "Bio" field to add an account bio. This should be information related to your Instagram content and/or your intentions; for example, if your Instagram is primarily a nature-based photography collection, mention that in the bio box.
- You can also put relevant hashtags in this field, which can make your account easier to find for users searching for similar content.
- 8Review your private information. This is at the bottom of the page; only you can see this information, as it pertains to your Instagram account's registration. From here, you can change the following items:
- Your registered email address.
- Your registered phone number.
- Your gender preference.
- 9Tap "Done" in the top right corner. This will save your changes!
- QuestionWho will see my information on Instagram?Community AnswerIf you choose not to make your account private, anybody can see your Instagram profile. However, if you choose the "Private Account" option in the "Edit Profile" section of the Options menu, only users who you approve manually will have access to your Instagram account.
- QuestionHow do I choose a username?Community AnswerChoose a name that is quirky and true to your personality, ideally a nickname. Avoid basing your username on any personal information that can be traced back to you, such as your address or your real name.
- QuestionHow do I create an Instagram account without email or Facebook ?Community AnswerUnfortunately, you need at least an email in order to create an Instagram account, as this is how they will verify your account when you first create it. You will also need this email in case you lose your password or encounter a security breach. If you don't have an email, you will need to create one using an email provider, such as Gmail or Yahoo.
- QuestionHow do I see someone's username?Community AnswerTo see a person's username on a timeline, their name is above the picture posted. On their page, it's at the very top.
- QuestionWhy has an error occurred?Community AnswerIt's possible you entered something wrong, your Wi-Fi isn't working, or you created too many accounts on your device.
- QuestionDo I need to use my real email address, or am I supposed to make one up?Community AnswerYou need to use your actual email address so that Instagram can verify your account when the process is done.
- QuestionWhat is Instagram?Community AnswerInstagram is a social networking site designed for users to share photos with their friends and followers. You can create an account for whatever you like, whether it is a personal account about you, or an account dedicated to your favorite television show, etc. Millions of people use it, and it's a great way to stay connected with the world.
- QuestionHow can I create an account without connecting to Facebook?Community AnswerYou can also use your email address. When you open Instagram, it will prompt you to sign up using either Facebook or an email address.
- QuestionInstagram won't let me create a new account. What should I do?Community AnswerYou should probably go onto another IP address (or WiFi server). Your IP Address is basically an address for the digital world. Instagram probably uses that to eliminate spam. Go to the library or Starbucks and try it there. If it won't work on your phone, try creating an account on the library's computer.
- QuestionWhat is an example of a valid email?Community AnswerAny email address to which you have current access. It helps if this is your main email account, since Instagram will sometimes send updates or newsletters. This address needs to be valid/current because, if you forget your password, you can use your email to reset it.
- Choose a username that you wouldn't mind other people knowing; if your account becomes popular, you don't want to have an embarrassing or unoriginal username attached to it.